Thursday, July 21, 2011

"White-water rafting"





Wow,this really makes a good comparison to one of my most challenging teaching expereinces. I was asked to teach a well -known subject to a group of upper managers in my company. I was excited and had little anxiety as I knew this subject backwards,forward, upside down and inside out. What I didn't know was the presentation that I would present with-HUGE mistake. I received the presentation a week prior to the training and reviewed it briefly. It also had an activity added I was fimiliar with, although it had been modified from what I knew. let's just say, I struggled during the entire presentation and every attempt to recover was unsuccessful. My raft capsized in more than one part of the river. Finally, it was over and I had failed what should have been a great success. Just like with a rafting experience, I should have researched and prepared myself more for what might have happened and been more comfortable with the equipment. I learned alot form the experience but will never assume again- I should have made it my own and anticipated the audience more realistically.

3 comments:

Analisa said...

Sometimes we think it is easier to have someone do something for us. But in truth it usually is harder because it inst our style and our own work. I know that I take more pride in the workshops that I create from scratch then I would one that is already premade.

Sometimes we might not know all the answers and it is ok to say" I don't know that answer, but I will find it out."

Leonard C. said...

Failing is never fun. One method that I’ve found to help me is to make the content my own. If you have the liberty, when you review the content, make sure you can relate to it. Obviously it’s important that the key points and outcomes remain the same, but add your own story. I struggle the most when I have to teach something that I’ve not taken ownership of. So, I always try and “own” at least a small portion, and it makes the rest of the learning better.

Living to Learn said...

I have to make it my own too..own stories, own work, own flow...I have to know it inside and out in order to feel comfortable...We've all had a presentation like the way you described, though.