Friday, June 10, 2011

Assignment 4.2 – Changing Learning Styles

Well, as I reflect back to the beginning of this course, I realize I didn’t know much about learning or teaching styles. What I thought I knew was just enough to get me interested in learning more and becoming comfortable with the new information.

My strongest observation of myself is that I am more of an auditory learner. I had always thought my style was kinesthetic as I am very good with my hands and like movement. I recognized that my learning styles change according to what I’m learning or teaching and my feelings or emotions direct a lot of this. The technology now available is more intimidating to me than I thought and I’ve struggled to learn to use it. This makes me laugh as I always thought of myself as informed. I’m one that often gets labeled “out of the box” so I’m challenging myself to be a better student.

To become better at using technology I will continue to use the tools the course has required and also begin to introduce some into my current programs. I have scheduled myself “tech time” each week on my personal calendar- which is a virtual calendar that prompts me electronically. During this 1-4 hr period I will surf and explore the internet to build my own reference library.

I know now that I need to practice using the technology so that I will be able to provide my students with a clear and defined concept. I will also request more information about topics I do not fully understand. By doing this I will be able to decrease my frustration (emotions) and therefore improve my learning so that it becomes a part of my new teaching strategies.

No comments: