Sunday, June 26, 2011

"Tough Decision"

The Decision: In order to complete my Bachelor's degree in Adult Education, I need an additional 7 elective college credits along with the required Kirkpatrick Series equal to 9 hours. My current plan is to complete the 24 hours of the required course and pursue the Kirkpatrick Series in the spring 2012, but what should I do about the 7 elective courses.
My choices :Contact my Online Academic Advisor to discuss my options and develop a plan no later than September 2011 or seek out a plan on my own after I've completed the required courses, which will be completed December 2011. Do I want to enroll in the Kirkpatrick Series immediately after completing the required course or pursue the electives first, or do I want to enroll in more than one class?
Information and Pros and Cons: There are many ways to fulfill the 7 electives, as I investigate these I will evaluate the time issues, convenience as well as cost. If I enroll into the Kirkpatrick Series immediately after completing the required course should I also enroll in an elective to complete my degree quicker? Not sure, and I will need to review if the course is available and what the requirements will be. Can I really manage the time required for both? Probably not as effectively as I would like. The cost should be the same no matter how long it takes for me to complete all the requirements, so that's a positive. Completing the degree sooner might lead to advancement in my career or maybe a change in my career.
"Best" choice: The "best" choice for me because of time, other life responsibilities is to contact my advisor and make a plan, and then revisits it as needed.
Plan of action:
Send an email to my advisor and schedule an appointment within the next 2 weeks. As we review the necessary information I will schedule additional meetings to seek guidance and adjust the plan when necessary.

3 comments:

Analisa said...

Tina, I finshed the Kirkpatrick Signature series before taking this class. I wanted to let you know that the homework and the reading requirements in this class are quite large. You write 800 word essays along with other busy work every week. It is very time consuming. I just wanted to give you that bit of information to help you when deciding on taking another class with the KSS.

Analisa

tm48thoughts said...

Thanks Analisa. That really helps

Kattie said...

Ironically I will be in the same situation as you will be next spring. I have heard that the Kirkpatrick Signature Series is very time consuming too.

Thank you for posting this on your blog because it helps me understand that I am not alone with trying to figure out what to do with the KSS.

I know you and your advisor will figure out what is best for you and your schedule!

Kattie